Workplace Accident in Portland: Don’t miss these five steps!
Dealing with the consequences of an on-the-job accident is never easy. You could be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits, but there are also steps that you are expected to take as an injured worker. Victims often assume they can leave everything to the employer or the insurance company, which can be an expensive mistake. Your best bet in such circumstances is to have an industrial accident lawyer on your side. Below are the five steps you must take after a workplace accident in Portland.
- Check with a doctor immediately. States have different workers’ compensation laws. You should see a doctor your employer recommends, although there are exceptions. For instance, if your injuries are severe and need immediate medical care, you can see any licensed doctor at that point. Your doctor will help fill the Oregon Form 827 for you.
- Report the accident. You are required to file a written report about the accident and the consequent injuries to your employer. You can submit the same to your supervisor or HR, and it is best to do so at the earliest. As per state laws in Oregon, there is a time cap of 30 days for reporting such accidents, but the sooner you do it, the quicker you can get the workers’ compensation benefits. Ask your employer for the Oregon Form 801.
- Document everything. If you have seven or more days of work after an injury, you are entitled to recover lost wages as per the workers’ compensation system in Portland. You need to keep all records for the claim. If you are out of work for a considerably long time, you can also ask for temporary or permanent disability benefits. In some cases, an injured worker may even get partial disability benefits.
- Keep up with the treatment plans. You should always follow your doctor’s advice when it comes to your treatment, which is also important for getting worker’s compensation benefits. You have the right to seek a second opinion if you are unhappy with the current medical care. Do not miss any appointments with your doctor or physiotherapist.
- Call a workers’ compensation attorney. It would help if you had an experienced and reliable attorney on your side before you file the workers’ compensation claim. Your lawyer will ensure that you don’t fall prey to insurance tactics and take care of the entire claims process.
You can check on Google to find local listings of workers’ compensation attorneys in your city.