Botox: Is it the right choice for you? – Dr. Swetha
Having healthy, wrinkles and lines free skin is everybody’s dream. But as you age, your skin starts losing collagen and you feel that you are getting more and more wrinkles or fine lines on your skin. If you feel like you have too many wrinkles or want to have skin that looks younger and fresher, you can opt for botox. It is one of the most popular treatments in the world.
In this article, Dr Shwetha P from Cosmoderm skin clinic in Indiranagar, Bangalore, sheds some light on botox treatment.
What is botox?
Botox is a protein derived from microorganisms. It is derived from the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. It is the treatment used to treat fine lines and wrinkles. Botox is a brand name that has been around for a long time.
Botox is one of the most popular treatments around the world. If used in a small and correct dosage, it can reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
If you want to get botox treatment, you can check out Dr Shwetha P at Cosmoderm Centre, her skin clinic in Indiranagar, Bangalore. She offers a wide variety of skin treatments, including botox and fillers.
How does it work?
Botox is a neurotoxin. It targets the nervous system, evoking the strength of the nerve signals so your muscles won’t contract anymore. Because the muscles cannot move, it gives the appearance of reduced lines and wrinkles.
Botox is generally used on forehead lines, smile lines, and the area around your eyes. You can also use it in the conditions like:
- Overactive bladder: causes a frequent and sudden urge to urinate that may be difficult to control.
- Chronic migraines: Chronic migraine is defined as having at least 15 headache days a month, with at least 8 days of having headaches with migraine features, for more than 3 months.
- Excessive sweating of the underarms
- Lazy eye
- Uncontrollable blinking/ twitching
Who is suitable or unsuitable for botox?
According to Dr. Shwetha, from a renowned skin clinic in Indiranagar, if you have an overall healthy body, you can get botox.
Anyone who has an allergic reaction to botox cannot get further treatment. That’s why it is essential to get an allergy test.
People with thick or sensitive skin are also not good candidates for botox. People with sensitive skin might get bruises from the botox needle and they might notice swelling, itching and redness.
Before the procedure, you need to give the details of your medical history, allergies or medical conditions to your doctor.
You might need to remove your makeup where the treatment is going to take place before the procedure.
- You won’t need anesthesia for the botox procedure. It only takes a few minutes. It is not that painful, but you can take an anesthetic if you feel pain. You can also use ice to numb the area of the procedure.
- The procedure is generally done in the clinic. Your dermatologist will use a small needle to inject the botox into the area that needs the treatment on your skin or muscles.
- The amount of treatment sessions you need depends on your condition and treatment.
- You should avoid rubbing or massaging the treated area for at least 24 hours. It can prevent the risk of getting botox in the other areas of your skin.
The noticeable results might be visible in 1-2 days. Additional botox injections can be taken to maintain the results.
How long will the Botox last?
The question often asked is how long will the botox last? Botox lasts about 3-6 months, depending on the treatment.
The muscle’s action will return eventually, and the wrinkles will begin to reappear. Then they will need to be treated again.
Risks involved with botox
Mild bruising or discomfort may occur after the procedure, but it should be fine after a few days. The side effects include:
- Neck pain
- You might not be able to move your muscles for some time.
Cost of Botox in India
The cost of botox differs from treatment to treatment, says Dr. Shwetha P from Cosmoderm Center skin clinic in Indiranagar, Bangalore. Following are the average costs of different treatments per session:
|Forehead||Rs. 2500 to Rs. 5000|
|Frown||Rs. 4000 to Rs. 6000|
|Crow’s feet||Rs. 3500- Rs. 8000|
Botox also involves some other treatments, where the costs range from Rs. 7000 to Rs. 21000 per session. An increase in the costs can also happen if you decide to get two or three treatments combined.
All these treatments are available at Cosmoderm skin clinic in Indiranagar.
Botox can help you reduce the appearance of wrinkles. It can also help make you look younger and self-confident. You should talk to a good healthcare professional if you want to get the procedure done. But you need to have realistic expectations