9 Foods to Avoid During Pregnancy
Pregnant women should monitor their dietary intake as they require nutrients for the baby’s development. Women experiencing malnourishment during pregnancy must consult the best nutritionist in Lahore. The timely treatment allows the women to feel healthy and avoid complications related to physical and mental health that can hinder the child’s development.
The food that women must avoid during pregnancy are:
- Certain Types of Fish: Individuals must avoid consuming high-mercury fish, which can affect the functioning of vital organs. The fish is found in polluted water and affects the nervous system, immune system, and kidneys. Additionally, it can damage the neurological health of the child. The high mercury fish include; hark, swordfish, king mackerel, and Marlin. It is best to consume salmon, tilapia, and trout three times a week. It helps fulfill the nutritional requirements of the body.
- Excessive Consumption of Organ Meat: Organ meat is a rich source of iron, vitamin B12, vitamin A, zinc, selenium, and copper, which are beneficial for the child and the mother. However, excessive consumption of Vitamin A during the first trimester can cause congenital deformities and increase the risk of miscarriage. Hence, pregnant women should avoid consuming meat daily to prevent physical health-related complications.
- Raw Meat: Uncooked meat increases the risk of infection, which can cause stillbirth. Infections and parasites can cause the child to suffer from intellectual disability, blindness, and epilepsy. Pregnant women must remain conscious of the meat. They must properly cook the meat to avoid infections that can hinder the development of the child.
- Raw Eggs: The uncooked eggs are more likely to be contaminated with Salmonella bacteria. The infection can cause nausea, cramps, body aches, and diarrhea. Pregnant women may suffer from cramps in the uterus that can lead to stillbirth. The food items that contain raw eggs are homemade mayonnaise, scrambled eggs, poached eggs, and hollandaise sauce.
- Caffeine: Caffeine is absorbed in the placenta that restricts fetal growth. It can increase the risk of low birth weight, which affects overall physical and neurological development. Women must drink less than 200 mg of caffeine a day to prevent complications that can cause hindrance during birth.
- Unwashed Fruits and Vegetables: Unwashed fruits and vegetables are contaminated with parasites. The bacteria during pregnancy increase the risk of blindness and brain damage. Thus, mothers must remain conscious and the vegetables to reduce the risk of congenital deformities.
- Unpasteurized Dairy Products: Unpasteurized milk, cheese, and other dairy products contain Listeria, Salmonella, E. coli, and Campylobacter. It can be life-threatening for the unborn child. Thus, mothers must remain conscious of their dietary intake. Pasteurization helps kill the bacteria that may cause developmental problems. Thus, women must drink and consume pasteurized dairy products.
- Junk Food: Pregnant women should consume organic food rather than junk and processed food. Junk food can lead to obesity. Obesity can lead to gestational diabetes and complications during birth. Therefore, the mother must remain mindful and avoid consuming sugary inorganic food items. Pregnant women consuming excessive junk food must consult a nutritionist to follow healthy dietary guidelines to prevent complications during and after birth. Engaging in exercise can prevent complications.
- Alcohol: Alcohol affects their physical and mental health, which affects their quality of life. Consuming alcohol during pregnancy increases the risk of brain damage and stillbirth. Also, the consumption of alcohol can lead to fetal alcohol syndrome. It causes heart disease, facial deformity, and intellectual disability. Thus, mothers must make a conscious effort and avoid alcohol and the consumption of illicit drugs. Individuals who struggle to eradicate alcohol from their lifestyle should join a support group to remain consistent and enhance their physical health.
Women, during pregnancy, must prioritize their physical and mental health to reduce complications during birth. Women experiencing pain and signs of malnourishment must discuss their symptoms with the best nutritionist in Karachi for guidance regarding diet and maintaining BMI.